Monday, January 10, 2011

The Youth Retreat

The Jan-Kay Youth Retreat began Friday night (1-7-11) and we returned home Sunday (1-9-11) about noon. The youth retreats are so rejuvenating for many reasons. The camp is so beautiful, with a lake, pool, park, canoes, paddle-boats, lots of trees and lots of space, not to forget the animals, tigers, camels, horses, lama, rhino, elephants, and just about any other animal you can think of. It is a wonderful place to retreat to every once in a while. The best part about it is the lessons and the singing. The singing of the young is one of the most beautiful sounds to me. It thrills my soul to hear these songs of praise! The youth reconnect with one another, make new friendships and enjoy the company of one another. The 'old' people that accompany them are able to get to know them just a little bit better. It helps to bridge the gap between generations. The girls football game is always a hit and those girls are so competitive and so serious about the game. The referees were....well, let's just say I am glad they have a true profession. And the coaches were quite the silly guys, some serious and some taking it for what it was, fun, fun, fun! The ride home was a touch and anxiety filled trip. Many vehicles in ditches and off the road. In Texas, wintry blasts means trouble because Texans can't drive in the stuff. Visibility was hard due to the heavy fat snow at times and the ice and rain sticking to the wipers at other times. We stopped occasionally to clean the wipers so the windshield would be cleaned properly. And I prayed and prayed that the youth would make it back with no incidents. Those prayers were answered.

The hardest part for me was to get the nutrition I needed. Eating applesauce with protein added while everyone enjoys eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, one of my favorite breakfasts. I keep reminding myself it was 1 retreat and next year will be easier. Sunday morning I did feel poorly after walking up the hill. My muscles were lacking what they needed and my body responded appropriately. It was quite the wake up call. During the morning worship before leaving I was over come with nausea, but after about 30 minutes, it passed and all was OK. When we returned home I napped for 4 hours and took a hot shower and felt much better.



No comments: