Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My honey and me

It is Tuesday night and we are finally home from the hospital. Today was very frustrating at the hospital, and I really had to bite my tongue. JB was doing everything he needed to do. Walking every two hours, doing his respiratory breathing, and drinking, drinking, drinking. I asked the nurse for towels so he could shower and she had to see if that was OK. Doctor said yes and it took forever to get towels and washrags, and then even more time to unhook the IV. Finally he was able to shower, and I helped him and washed his hair and he was almost falling asleep. He said he could get used to that. HAHA!. Sure honey! Whatever you wish...

I ran down to the cafe to grab something to eat before 2PM because that is when they close for the day, and the guy running it was just too much of a cut up. There were 3 workers there getting lunches and he was talking about his party last weekend and picking up food and throwing it back (trying to be cute). I was not amused. I like having fun but there is a time and a place and that was not it. I had only had some breakfast that day and was getting a headache but there are not many options. There is a Dunston's Steakhouse and Whataburger around that hospital and I didn't want to leave JB. So I asked my mom in law to grab me a filet at Dunston's. That is a really good steakhouse, and I want to take JB back when he can have steak in a couple months. Now I will always have someone to split a steak with! LOL!

So a funny story! When JB and I first started 'goin out' ,I wasn't 16 yet and couldn't date. Our high schools were rivals, Mesquite vs. North Mesquite and it was game night between our schools. I was in the Mighty Maroon Band and I played the flute and I was on the Flag Corps during marching season. JB was in the Stallion Batallion which was the mascot squad. He had he uniform and I had mine. We went to our prospective sides during the game and he actually came over to our side to see me at half time. My friends were all so funny. I hated my band uniform, as it was very gay looking, you know the polyester suits and ugly but shiney shoes with a big bucket hat and feather at the top! Imagine that! I could not wait to change clothes to go out with my youth group after the game.

When the game ended we went to the church (Mesquite Church of Christ) as we always had activity after the games and this night we were going to Putt-Putt that is now no longer there. When we got to the church I grabbed my hanging bag to go change clothes and my brother grabbed the wrong bag and I had to wear my band nerd uniform to Putt-Putt or go home. I went pouting! When we got there I played a few games and remember this was before cell phones (in the dark ages), and JB showed up at Putt-Putt, so we played a few games and talked and walked. At one point, I can ever remember what parking spot it was, althought the lot was full of cars, he grabbed me and spun me around and kissed me. Totally unexpected and WOW, that was my first kiss and it was one of those lighning rod kisses. Man, I liked kissing, I should have started that years ago! My sweet youth minister, Mickey, teased us that night about that kiss. He said he looked over and thought JB was gonna eat my head. I was VERY embarrised, my youth minister was watching, ugh! We weren't doing anything wrong but HE was watching.

Although it has been 23 years since we married and 27 years since that first kiss, his kisses still make me feel the way I did that night. Not the 'peck' kisses but the kisses, and I love that feeling! I love to kiss him and I still love to be surprised! That kiss that swept you off your feet. That feeling that made you think the butterflies in your stomach may just explode and escape. I love him so much, and I am so excited about this journey that we are on. The one I started December 27th and the one he started June 6th. I can't wait to see what the future holds for us. Our backet list keeps growing and the things we want to do keeps growing.

Sometimes people comment about us, "taking the easy way out". From my point of view, this is not the easy way but this is the path I had to take. My PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Sysdrome) would not let me lose weight. I was a mess and my body was decling, my health was declining. I had to listen to the experts and I had to take a step I never wanted to take, but a step that I will never regret taking because it has the capacity to change my life. It has changed my life. JB was advised that for him to prevent adult onset diabetes he should have the surgery. His onchologist also told him that gastric bypass would greatly reduce his chance of this domant cancer awaking and attacking his organs. I want him by my side as long as I can. I want him by my side and the benefits greatly outweighed the risks. This surgery is life long monitoring. Making sure I have enough protein, vitamins and water.

JB's potassium dropped dangerously low tonight and he had to take potassium by mouth which is really nasty. IV potassium was an option also but he selected the oral. And eventually got it down.

I just want to say that sometimes you have great friends, and sometimes you have good friends but best friends are defined differently. A best friend is the one who stands by your side when the rest of the world walks out. Last week I felt like the rest of my world walked out, and my best friend Donna stepped up. She is a great sounding board and even tells me when I am stupid. I have known Donna longer than my honey. (and I don't know if she has ever completely forgiven JB for marrying me and taking me off to Alaska) I met Donna when her family placed membership at Mesquite Church of Christ and a lifelong friendship began. Yes, we have had our share of disagreements but we still loved each other (and she was wrong) just kidding Donna! She was at the hospital today and yesterday to be there for me and I appreciated that so much. I am not used to having people come out when I am not needing to be alone. Family yes, but not friends. And I want her to know that I will be there for her and for Mollie with this health crisis and forever. I love you my BFF!

No comments: