Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Weight Loss Surgery Journey

Greetings & Salutations! I have always wanted to say that.
I plan to share my journey and hope to be able to help others to make informed choices. 
My Weight Loss Surgery Journey began on Monday, December 27th, 2010.
As I sit in my recliner with my "VenaFlow System" on my calves to keep blood clots down, what better time to share? I have attempted to have weight loss surgery for at least 15 years and my insurance never deemed it "medically necessary". I lost 70 pounds on Weight Watchers in 2007, but there has been an underlying demon that has made things difficult to lose. I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and have had it my entire married life, almost 23 years. There came a point that I wanted to stop fighting my body and start living. I have met with surgeons who said to have a hysterectomy and you are probably thinking that should fix it too, but it would only create other health problems. Dr. B has performed surgery for the treatment of PCOS and had great successes. I highly anticipate my life in the active lane again instead of the sidelines of life. 

I will tell you that if you are serious about this, you have to get your rear in gear. I went in for my first consultation with Dr. B on November 2nd, 2010 determined and inspired by a friend at church that had gastric sleeve. Less than 2 months until the end of year and you know what that means, more deductibles, more out of pocket max., and the beginning of everything. I wanted to have WLS in 2010 and save our family the money, so, I got my rear in gear. If my insurance wanted 5 years of weight, they got 10 years. I doubled everything they wanted and asked what any insurance has came back wanting and got it also. Anything and everything they could come back for was there the first time. It was approved in less than a week and surgery scheduled  for the last day of the year he was operating, December 27th!  

I read my surgery book every night and got everything in advance as well as starting everything in advance. My protein, vitamins, supplements, etc. I was determined to be in the best shape possible for my surgery. The very hardest part of the whole pre-preparations was missing all of Christmas dinners this year! 



The surgery I had is: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy With Duodenal Switch. The reason for the switch was to counteract the PCOS. Usually a switch is performed with BMI over 60 or 500 pounds or greater weigh. I had neither but it has worked for 'tricking the body' to let go of the weight. I didn't want to go back for another surgery but wanted everything done once. Most surgeons like stage weight loss surgery, but myself and Dr. B are not a fan of multiple surgeries. Recovery is harder but is one time rather than twice. 

My day started with me needing to be at the hospital at 11 AM. I arrived and check in at 10 AM, and began the process of waiting. My husband, son and parents were with me.  I was called back to pre-op at noon and there I waited for 6 1/2 hours. My anxiety spiked and I was so ready to get done, and I even thought about getting dressed once too and going home! I was taken in for surgery at 6:30PM and they told my husband my surgery was complete and I was heading for recovery at 8:30PM. I know my in-laws were in recovery because I was told that but I don't remember anything. You have to understand that the morning of my surgery, my husband's paternal grandmother passed away at 10:38AM, so it has been very emotional on the family. Throughout the entire waiting to go into surgery, there were many that came and went into surgery with other surgeons.  Realizing that I had been blessed abundantly by the presence of my husband, son and mom & dad. My mom and honey stayed with me the entire process of pre-op and my mom spent the first night. Granted, I have had 3 surgeries in my life and 2 were this year, but the processes of surgeries is very overwhelming. 

I honestly could not tell you when I remember being back in the land of the living. They pushed fluids and walking, walking and fluids. Walking came easy for me, and really felt good to get out of the bed. I did ache and I was sore but aside from the enormous amount of air/gas that was in my abdomen, the pain seemed manageable.  If only I could release some of it, but that did come after the ride home. Texas roads seem pretty good until you have 6 incisions and a ride home and they are TERRIBLE! :o) 

I had injections in my abdomen every 8 hours of blood thinner, so I look like I have been in a battle! I will have daily injections in my abdomen  for the next 30 days to keep blood clots down. But all in all, I know this too shall pass and I can begin my active life doing the things I want to do and living instead of watching.

To be continued....HBP headaches and honeys,



2 comments:

Joyce said...

You are in my prayers, dear friend. I wish you the very best with this new step in life and know that you will be very successful. I, too, have started back on Weight Watchers and I am so determined to "do it" this time. I feel very good about it and do understand there will be days that will be more difficult than others, but also know that I CAN DO IT! I will think about you and you think about me and we can do this. I want to be a healthy "old" woman and enjoy each day that the Lord gives me on this earth. Love you muchly and I will check back often and be anxious to hear your story and your successes. :)

Holleys said...

Joyce, I will cheer you on and WW is a fabulous plan and if you have a bad day, get back to good days tomorrow. One day lost is not a totally blown program. WW has taught me many of my positive eating habits that will serve me well throughout this journey. I crave the good foods and can't wait till I can have my veggies back. I love you and the support that you have been to me throughout the years! Thank you!