Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Vacation day 1 and all is well.

Today is the first day of our vacation and so far things are going good, wonderful, and almost perfect. I wanted to make salmon patties for dinner and we struck out there. First when I opened the brand new box of saltines that I bought at Wal-Mart, it had flying bugs in the stack of crackers. Didn’t think we needed that much extra protein so I trashed the whole box. Also, we could not find a lighter to light the stove. After trying other options we gave up and had some shaved smoked turkey for dinner. More was planned but that was all we could do tonight, but it is all good because so many wonderful other things have happened.


When we were driving up here almost to the park, it started raining! What is this stuff leaking from the sky? It started slowly and then pick up heavier. It was so wonderful to have rain, I love the smell of fresh rain, and it hope that little cloud went back to my house in Greenville. We even started putting the camper in the rain. JB said I should go sit under the pavilion so I stay dry. STAY DRY?! No way, it is raining and I am on vacation, I am going to let the rain fall on me because it felt so wonderful!

We wanted to see nature this week and get back to the basics of life, love, and living. While the camera was still in the truck and while we were setting the camper up, 2 young deer, a doe and a buck crossed through the campsite next to ours. They stopped and looked at us for a few minutes, I think they were saying, “Who invited you to my woods?” We are the strangers around here. Now, no comments from the peanut gallery, we know we are strange enough. They scampered into the woods before we could get the camera.

After the camper was set up, we went to check out the other areas of the park. We found a great fishing pier, swim beach (not sure I am gutsy enough to put my suit on in public) and the other camp areas. While we were driving back to our camp site we saw 2 young deer lying by the side of the road and naturally our loud truck scared them off. We turned trying to follow the area they were running into and the mama deer and her baby stopped in the perfect opening and just stared at us until we got the perfect picture. The baby was so tiny and the mom was quite small also, but it was a neat sight. I look forward to seeing more of God’s creatures throughout the week.

I look forward to the remainder of this week and all the surprises it will hold.

No comments: